As we move into the future, the need for transportation is merging with society’s concerns about pollution, climate change, depletion of natural resources and the long-term sustainability of our planet — driving the adoption of alternative fuels and technologies.
In 2017, thousands from across the transportation industry attended the Advanced Clean Transportation (ACT) Expo in Long Beach, California on May 1-4 to learn about the latest alternative fuel technologies, policies, and the leading organizations driving innovation and sustainability.
Parker’s engineering experts were on-site to meet with visitors and talk about Parker’s proven multi-technology systems and components for compressed natural gas (CNG), liquid natural gas (LNG) and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG).
Parker’s unmatched offering of natural gas vehicle and fueling system products are certified to industry standards and organizational approvals, including:
- CSA Group (Canadian Standards Association) www.csagroup.org
- UL (Underwriters Laboratories) www.ul.com
- ISO (International Organization for Standardization) www.iso.org
- ISO 15500
- ECE (Economic Commission for Europe) www.unece.org
- Regulation No. 110 (Automotive only, primarily for Europe but recognized worldwide)
- NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) www.nfpa.org
“Certification marks offer peace of mind to retailers, regulators, consumers and end users the world over by indicating that your products have been independently tested and have met the required standards for safety
– CSA Group, www.csagroup.org
Here’s a review of some of the products we featured at the show:
On-board fuel regulation module
Available with multiple options, the FM80 integrated gas regulator system provides advanced fuel handling performance. The piston regulator design delivers better control, fewer connections, reduced risk of leaks, and longer range. Features include:
- Certified to ANSI NGV 3.1-2014 / CSA 12.3-2014, ISO 15500 and ECE R1100
- Optimized for 5 to 12 liter engines
- Tested and designed for extreme environmental operating conditions
- Maintains stable pressures and high flow to the downstream components across the full operating range of CNG vehicles
- Tank pressures of 3600 psig to 225 psig (250 bar to 15 bar)
- Superior flow pressure characteristics compared to other products available in the market with a 20 psi (1.4 bar) delivery pressure envelope
On-vehicle CNG filters
Proper filtration is instrumental in preventing contaminants from ruining a fuel system. Installing a high-pressure particulate filter upstream of the pressure regulator removes damaging particulate matter, and installing a low-pressure coalescing filter downstream of the regulator removes unwanted oil aerosols. This two-stage system will protect engine components, reduce the risk of injector malfunction, and extend the life of the system.
- ECE R110 certified
- High pressure filters rated up to 3600 psig
- Low pressure filters rated to 500 psig
- Anodized filter housing for long life and corrosion resistance in hostile environments
- Easy drainage without bowl removal
CPI™ tube fittings
Single ferrule tube fittings are designed to effectively seal and resist vibration and thermo-cycling conditions in process, and instrumentation system connections. These tube fittings utilize a single ferrule for easy make-up and excellent performance in vibration applications. The “spring loaded” effect of the single ferrule creates a constant tension between the fitting body and fitting nut. Manufactured from heat code traceable 316 stainless steel.
- Conforms to and listed per: ANSI/CSA NGV3.1 and ECE R110
- Molybdenum Disulfide coated nuts for low torque make-up
- Superior corrosion resistance
- Hardened ferrules provide optimum performance
CNG tube assemblies
Parker’s custom tube assemblies are designed to match system specifications and eliminate warranty issues, provide increased durability and reliability, and reduce overall operating costs.
- Designed for the rigorous requirements of automotive, mobile, bus and transit applications
- Long service life
- Resist moisture ingression
The CNGRP low pressure CNG hose is a flexible, lightweight hose that serves as primary conveyance of CNG downstream of the pressure regulator. Rated to 248°F(120°C) at 500 psi (34.5 bar).
- Conforms to and listed per: NFPA 52, ANSI/ CSA NGV 3.1, CSA 12.3, Class C Certificate #70102698
- Electrically conductive
- Dampens vibration and noise
- Low permeation construction
Metal LNG hose
Designed for extreme chemical and temperature applications, Parker’s metal hose offers excellent chemical resistance with zero permeation. Hydroformed design yields a uniform wall thickness, promoting even distribution of stress during flexing and reduces concentrated residual stress.
- ECE R110
- ISO 12617
- Fire safety – maintains its integrity up to 1200°F
- Leak-free fitting weld connection
Fuel line breakaway
Specifically designed for CNG applications and pressures to 3,600 psi (248 bar), the NGVBCN2-P50 breakaway allows the hose to safely disconnect, preventing damage to the dispenser in the event of a “drive off".
- Certified to NGV4.4 standard for breakaway devices used on natural gas dispensing hoses and systems
- Balanced design assures positive connection
- Engineered for use in both relieving and non-relieving systems
- Combination of stainless steel and brass construction provides long life
- Easy installation
Fueling nozzle and receptacle
Parker’s Kodiak Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) Coupling was designed for fueling LNG vehicles. It offers easy single action connection with integral shut-off valves and hose swivel. Its design provides a thermal break to reduce freezing of the locking mechanism. The rugged Kodiak nozzle and receptacle wear surfaces are manufactured from hardened stainless steel for maximum resistance to wear and damage.
- ECE R110 certified and compliant with ISO 12617
- Universal design will accept other manufacturer's nozzles
- The dual interface seal technology provides improved seal life and is field serviceable
LPG control valves
LPG control valves are used on-board propane powered vehicles including school buses, transit vehicles, delivery trucks, and a growing number of propane autogas applications.
- Meets UL125 performance requirements
- Individual tank mounted supply and return valves
- Piloted piston valve designs with an excess flow valve and check valve for enhanced performance
- On-engine fuel rail valving incorporates both supply and bleed solenoid valves
- Suitable for many clean transportation applications
High-pressure CNG valves
Located between the pressure regulator and fuel injection system, Parker high-pressure, high-flow, two-way normally closed valves offer the highest burst pressure available. These valves can be combined with a coalescing filter, lowering the amount of contaminated natural gas within a system.
- ISO 15500 / ECE R110
- Bubble-tight maximum allowed leakage
- Maximum pressure of 4,500 psi
- All-stainless steel construction for optimum performance
This post was contributed by Steve Duricky, business development manager, Parker Hannifin