Crimping is a crucial aspect of any hose assembly. When you have fluids or gases in motion over extended periods of time, the crimp must be just right otherwise there is a lot that can go wrong. Even the slightest error in with the dimensions, properties or application of your hose can damage your system and cost you a ton—maybe even cause environmental issues or risk serious injury.
To attain the perfect crimp, it is crucial to make sure you first select the Parker hose and fitting that meets your specific application requirements. Always use the Parker Hose Products Catalog for reference.
Need a hose or fitting? Let HoseFinder help you find it! Our mobile application allows you to search the entire catalog of products from Parker’s hose products divisions quickly and efficiently. It’s like a catalog in your pocket only better!
Crimping process overview
If you are unfamiliar with the crimping process here are the steps using our Parkrimp 2 Crimper:
- Mark the insertion depth of the hose using the hose insertion depth fixture.
- Push the hose all the way into the coupling, stopping at the insertion depth mark.
- Select the proper die—each Parker die is color coded and stamped with its appropriate series and size of hose fittings.
- Lubricate the die bowl, then place the color-coded die into the base plate.
- From beneath, position the hose and fitting into the die.
- Using the parkalign feature, rest the bottom of the coupling on the die step.
- Place the die ring on the top of the dies.
Now you are ready to crimp!
- Pull the valve handle toward you until the die ring is in full contact with the crimper bowl.
- Release the pressure by pushing the valve handle away from you until the die opens and the finished assembly releases.
- After crimping, visually inspect the assembly for defects and measure the crimp diameter, just to be sure.
If you are using a crimper other than the Parkrimp 2, some aspects of your crimping process may vary, so consult your crimpers corresponding Parker manual, or contact your local ParkerStore professionals who will be more than happy to answer your questions.
Watch the video to see hose crimping in action with Mike, our ParkerStore professional:
For those of you who do not have a crimper at your site, you can rely on your local ParkerStore distributor or ParkerStore Hose Doctor to fabricate the assembly. That way you get the experience and expertise of ParkerStore professionals, as well as the quality products that Parker provides. Plus, you can also secure the knowledge that you have done all that you can to avoid problems down the road!
If you are interested in having a crimper on-site, Parker can fulfill your inventory needs from a wide selection of crimpers which have led the industry in ease of use and rugged durability. With your own crimper, you will be able to use Parker’s hydraulic rubber hose, thermoplastic hose, industrial hose and hydraulic fittings to create leak-free hose assemblies whenever and wherever you need them.
Another bonus is that for crimp specifications, Parker provides Crimpsource, a complete online resource featuring information on all Parker crimpers. And of course, you have peace of mind in knowing that all our world class quality products are backed by the prestigious Parker brand.
ParkerStore became a global leader in the field by doing right by our customers. Our ParkerStore professionals know your business, and know what is at stake for you, which is why we provide the service and high-quality Parker products that solve your challenges - so you can get back to work faster!
Post contributed by:
Suzanne Favri, digital marketing specialist
Global Distribution & Sales Services, Parker Hannifin
Related support content: